opa-locka Train Station, an OLCDC historic preservation project

In an effort to help rebuild the downtown Opa-locka area, OLCDC purchases historic structures, preserves them and returns them to their prior or more efficient commercial uses.

Twenty of Opa-locka's buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1990, OLCDC renovated one of the buildings, the Historical Hurt Building, maintaining its Moorish architecture, renaming it the Logan Executive Center, and subsequently leasing space to area small businesses.

In June 2003, OLCDC completed extensive renovation of another of the Historic Places, the old train station. OLCDC now leases the station as an office and retail facility. For information on leasing available office space, contact OLCDC.

History of Opa-locka Architecture. The City of Opa-locka was incorporated in 1926 as an "Arabian Fantasy'' based on the book Arabian Nights and has the largest collection of Moorish architecture in the Western hemisphere. Between 1925 and 1928, during Florida's land boom, developer Glen Curtiss, with architect Bernhardt Muller, built 105 buildings featuring an array of domes, minarets and outside staircases, many of which were destroyed in the 1926 hurricane.

By 1928, Curtiss had built a self-contained city with a hotel, zoo park, golf course, archery club, swimming pool, airport, and train station in the place the Tequesta Indians called Opatishawockalocka. (Curtiss shortened the name.) Much of the property Curtiss built was later deeded to Dade County.